Penn Medicine’s Health Information Management Department is looking for a Central Fee Abstraction Associate Director
The Central Fee Abstraction Associate Director will oversee coding of professional services for University of Pennsylvania Health System, CPUP, CCA and Princeton. The Associate Director will plan, organize, design, implement, and monitor coding initiatives to improve coding quality and reimbursement. The incumbent will also provide individual and group education to coding staff, providers, and others throughout the organization that require coding and documentation knowledge. This position develops, defines, and executes project plans and vendor management activities and is accountable for creating a culture of compliance, ethics, integrity and performance in all coding practices.
- Provides strategic guidance and direction for the provision of coding services by planning and executing short and long term strategic actions.
- Active leader in revenue cycle processes to meet defined goals and objectives relative to coding.
- Maintains comprehensive knowledge of contemporary coding practices and emerging technology (clinical information systems – Pennchart) to ensure that coding services and infrastructure are progressive and effective.
- Works closely with other revenue cycle and business support departments to coordinate efforts, share best practices and promote consistency in processes.
- Develops communication strategies and processes for communicating to coding team members as well as senior leadership. Communication includes success metrics, project updates, policy changes, system enhancements, and physician education initiatives etc.
- Responsible for managing relationships with specific vendors and serving as the organization’s point of contact. Researches, analyzes and evaluates vendors and recommends new vendor purchases. Provides support to the organization for problems with vendor products and services. Maintains annual vendor contract of $850K in professional services.
- Acts as lead in system decisions relative to Pennchart and application of coding approach for professional services.
- Implements and evaluates organizational structures, policies and personnel management practices to achieve effective leadership and supervision of coding staff.
- Ensures the recruitment, training and retention of motivated, competent supervisors and staff.
- Directs operational activities to improve processes, ensure adequate staffing, with a focus on customer satisfaction.
- Develops and communicates accountabilities for managers/supervisors and support staff. Provides coaching, counseling, and leadership to supervisors to address human resource issues. Meets quality and throughput standards as developed through internal processes. Develops, measures and manages a high performance culture, effectively maintaining a high performing team.
- Coordinates with HIM to ensure coding consistency between hospital and practice coding activities.
- Establishes, manages and evaluates coding quality. Achieves compliance with state and federal laws, regulatory agencies, administrative and medical/legal risk assessments and accepted professional practice standards. Evaluates and plans for advanced technology to enhance the quality of coding.
Minimum Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Nursing, Health Information Management, or a related field required
- Master’s degree in Nursing, Health Information Management, or a related field preferred
- 5+ years of coding experience required
- 1+ years of Clinical Documentation Improvement (CDI) Specialist and/or Coding Quality experience preferred
Licenses, Registrations, and Certifications:
- Current PA Licensed RN, RHIA, RHIT, CCS or CPC required
- Current ACDIS CCDS Certification AND/OR AHIMA CDIP Certification preferred
- Strong knowledge of CPT, E&M Coding, Physician Billing documentation improvement, Surgical CPT Coding required
- High level of creativity, judgment, and initiative, tempered with flexibility to deal with a rapidly changing healthcare environment and expanding technology
- Must have the ability to maintain concentration with attention to detail
- Must be motivated, organized and possess excellent communication and analytical skills, as well as strong facilitation and presentation skills
Apply Online: https://careers.peopleclick.com/careerscp/client_pennmedicine/external/en-us/gateway/viewFromLink.html?jobPostId=87885&localeCode=en-us&referralCode=61405-70466-02037
Job ID: 80301